Restoration of a federally listed cultural heritage monument
Russia, St. Petersburg, Aptekarsky Island, 3a, letter A Instrumentalnaya Street
Start of design: 2012
Client: Customer’s Directorate for Repair and Restoration of Historical and Cultural
Authors of the project:
Architects: V. A. Romantsev, O. A. Kuzevanov, O. G. Rogacheva, S. V. Morozova, A. A. Karaseva, E. G. Sorokina, E. V. Shipova, L. D. Bykova
The church on Aptekarsky Island (1845) is the only surviving church designed by K. A. Thon, founder of the Russian Revival style, in St. Petersburg. In 1933, the church was reconstructed to house the laboratory of acoustics of the Leningrad Electrotechnical Institute. Its dome was demolished, only the drum of the central dome surviving, and the building was disfigured: the facades were altered; some of the doors and windows were walled up; the bas-reliefs were demolished, as well as some of the vaults; the internal space was divided into three floors. In 2006, the building was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.
Our project involves complete reconstruction of the original spatial and volumetric structure—the five onion domes and the roof configuration, the three-part pillarless vaulted quadrangle, the ceilings above the altar and the forechurch, the entrance portal, windows, etc. During the investigations carried out by Studio 44 Architects in 2012, it was discovered that the oval medallions in the pendentives contained paintings of the Four Evangelists by Karl Bryullov. In 2014, the paintings were cleaned and conserved. In the same year new beams and roof were constructed.