Russia, Peterhof, St. Petersburg
Client: Setl City Development
Authors of the project:
Architects: Nikita Yavein, Pavel Sokolov, Vasiliy Romantsev, Zhanna Razumova, Vladimir Parfyonov
Project team: Tatiana Andreeva, Yuriy Ashmetiev, Мarina Goryachkina, Ilianna Donnika, Nikita Zhukov, Grigory Ivanov, Ekaterina Kobozeva, Lyudmila Kutuzova, Elena Loginova, Anastasia Skorik, Evgeniya Sorokina, Petr Shlichter
Restoration project: Grigoriy Mikhailov (Mikhailov Architectural Studio), Larisa Odintsova (Lenproektrestavratziya -Institute for Cultural and Historical Landmarks Restoration), Oleg Kuzevanov (Studio 44 Architects)
Structural engineers: Oleg Kurbatov, Irina Liashko
Ensemble of Mikhailovskaya Dacha ? a federally listed architectural monument located in the environs of St. Petersburg was transferred to St. Petersburg State University by a governmental decree to create the GSOM campus in May 2007. The estate owned by Grand Prince Mikhail Nikolaevich, the son of the Russian Emperor Nicolas I, was created in 1857-1862 by architects Andrei Stackenschneider, Harold Bosse, Joseph Charlemagne. The survived structures include six historical buildings, hydro melioration system (seven ponds), and a number of hydraulic facilities (bridges, dams etc.)
An abrasion step divides the territory of 104 ha into two terraces: the Lower terrace opening onto the Golf of Finland, and the Upper terrace along St. Petersburg Highway. Historical monuments? Grand Prince Mikhail Nikolaevich’s palace, Kitchen house, Stables wing, Chamberlain’s wing, complex of greenhouses and gardener’s house, the church of St. Olga ? are concentrated in the east of the Upper terrace.
Restoration activities range from the conservation and restoration of authentic architectural elements to the reinforcement of historical structures and the modernization of engineering systems. The existing buildings total area is subject to double by means of basement and attic spaces development (Grand Prince’s palace, Kitchen house), courtyards covering (Kitchen house), underground spaces development (Stables wing), and new construction within historical dimensions (Complex of greenhouses). Yet, the historical ensemble will retain its original appearance. The project also provides for the restoration and landscaping of the park.
Complex eastern area is interpreted as the campus official zone open to the world. It accommodates offices and apartments of the Research Institute of Management, apartments for visiting professors and the followers of short-term research and PhD programmes.
Western territory is less interesting from historical perspective ? there used to be a village, some gardens and utility buildings. According to our project, there will emerge some residential blocks, recreational and public spaces, sport grounds. The area is to become the core of students’ community everyday life and socializing.
Though inheriting the historical principle of regular layout, contemporary architecture does not tend to replicate or act as an interpretation of the historical ensemble. Rather – it tends to distance itself from it as if paying reverence to the heritage of the past and accentuating its contemporary status. With their inclined walls and the extensive use of glass and timber, the new structures seem to easily assimilate with the surrounding landscape, at the same time retaining their reminiscence of some historical ‘park pavilions’. Each element of the new construction is highly distinctive and emblematic in shape, yet the entire complex functions as a seamless ensemble.
Restoration and Reconstruction programme
1. Grand Prince Mikhail Nikolaevich’s Palace(1858-1862, Harold Bosse) - Research Institute of Management and Executive Education Centre
2. Kitchen House - Executive Education Centre apartments
3. Chamberlain’s Wing > Administrative building, publication centre
4. Complex of Greenhouses and Gardener’s House > Executive Education Centre
5. Stables > Main building
New Construction programme
1. Bachelor Dormitories (150 4-room apartments/ 600 students)
2. MBA and PhD Dormitories (350 singles/ 350 students)
3. MIB Dormitories (150 two-room apartments/ 300 students)
4. Recreation Centre
5. Students Cafeteria
Territory total area – 104, 4 ha
Existing buildings GFA – 22 288 sq. m
Estimated footprint – 51 548 sq. m
Estimated GFA – 115 935 sq. m
Estimated usable area – 97 612 sq. m
Estimated structural volume – 520 964 sq. m